Monday, August 24, 2009

Is this blasphemy or just ignorance?

Just happened to stumble upon this piece by Haris Ibrahim in his The People's Parliament. Well, at least Haris isn't like some hypocrites who prefer to hide behind their Muslim names in revealing about their faith (or lack thereof)...

Maybe this quote can give some meaning to his stand on the religion: “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.”
- Andre Gide (French writer, humanist and moralist, 1947 nobel prize for literature, 1869-1951)

Malaysian syariah laws passed off as God’s
August 22, 2009

Many, many years back, in the Bar Room at the KL High Court in the Sultan Abdul Samad building, I was smoking.

It was the fasting month.

Sharifah came up and reprimanded me, and suggested that if I had to smoke during the fasting month, I should do it in the toilet.

I replied that if she could guarantee me that God could not see me smokng in the toilet, I would.

That was when I, too, believed that saum ( the Arabic word in the Holy Qur’an that is translated to mean fast ) was a command to abstain from food, drink and conjugal relations during the daylight hours of the month of Ramadhan.

I don’t believe that anymore.

What I believe now is unimportant.

What’s important is that I have the right to hold to my beliefs, just as those who believe as I once did, and who will dutifully fulfill their fast this month, are entitled to theirs.

I will respect their beliefs.

They must respect mine.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno had three glasses of beer. For that, she was fined RM5,000 and has been sentenced by the Syariah Court to be caned.

Six strokes.

Why?

Muslims believe it to be a sin to drink alcohol.

I don’t share this view.

“Those who believe and do righteous good deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate, if they fear God and believe and do righteous good deeds, and again fear God and believe, and once again fear God and do good deeds with perfection. And God loves the good-doers” – Surah 5 verse 93 of the Holy Qur’an.

I look at this verse and I’m not too sure that Kartika has committed a sin, but even if it is a sin…

“Tell those who believe to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of God. It is for Him to recompense each people according to what they have earned” – Surah 45 verse 14 of the Holy Qur’an.

God’s syariah, as I’ve come to understand it, enjoins us to forgive the wrongdoer.

And so, even if Kartika has done wrong, is caning her the way to set her on the right path?

“You shall invite to the path of God with wisdom and compassionate enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who is deviating from His path, and He knows best who are guided.” – Surah 16 verse 125 of the Holy Qur’an.

To those who are minded to send in comments contradicting my viewpoint here, I’ll be obliged if you abided by the verse I’ve just quoted, and be mindful of the verses that follow below.

“O God, Creator of the heavens and earth. Knower of all that is open and concealed, it is You that will judge between Your servants in matters on which they differed.” – Surah 39 verse 46 of the Holy Qur’an.

“If they do wrangle with you, say ‘God knows best what you are doing. God will judge between you on the Day of Judgment concerning your differences.” – Surah 22 verses 68 & 69 of the Holy Qur’an.

To those of you observing the fast this Ramadhan, I pray that God gives you the strength and patience to see you through your religious obligations.

Posted by Haris Ibrahim
Filed in Digressions
73 Comments »

No comments: